Popular Posts

Thursday, September 12, 2013

What Putin Got (Exceptionally) Right

I am no fan of Vladimir Putin and I have real questions about what is motivating his recent actions, but I have to say that these words from his major essay in today's New York Times are to me deeply true and resonate with what I felt when I heard Obama say his piece about American exceptionalism in his Tuesday night speech. (Kudos to Mark Silk for making me aware of Putin's words.)

 "I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is 'what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.' It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy. Their policies differ, too. We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal."

3 comments:

  1. Putin doesn't even understand the history of where the term "American Exceptionalism" comes from, and I doubt that Obama does either. It is about the principles America was based on, and it is not a bad thing. It is about the values that made this country great, and that we have had a different result than any other country has yet had.

    The man that coined this phrase was a Frenchman named alexis de tocqueville, not an American. He said "The position of the Americans is quite exceptional.."

    I recommend doing your own research, but I feel most people misunderstand, especially Putin, what American exeptionalism. This is actually extremely hypocritical coming from a country that generally deems themselves the best.

    The two men that prompted me to look in to the roots of the term "American Exceptionalism" is Rick Green and his Mentor David Barton.

    God Bless ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Donate $20 onetime and Raise funds for your cause..."

    Receive Instant and Direct donations for your personal or social needs.

    Easy, fast, ideal, innovative and 100% effective Crowd-Sharing web-portal.

    Act Now: Give now to Get now. Make Money by helping your community rich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Onokun helped me with his good herbs i can give more info of how this good man cured my hpv completely, the herbs he offered me really helped me out that’s why am dropping this testimony with my new account am not fake i just don’t want my family and friends to know I’ve been diagnosed with this disease before 🙏 kindly massage this doctor to help you out no matter the disease you are suffering from. His email address: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete