A president of the United States had fierce disagreements with a conservative Israeli leader due to potential actions by Israel against a Middle East foe. Does this sound like a description of Obama and Netanyahu over Iran? Try Ronald Reagan relating to Menachem Begin over Lebanon. How serious were their disagreements? At the time Reagan wrote in his personal diary that he had told Begin that Israel “had to stop [bombing Beirut, Lebanon] or our entire future relationship was endangered”.
We are heading into tense times in the relationship between Israel and the United States, but we have been through tough moments before. While many on the Right trumpet a narrative in which President Obama would appear to be the first president to ever have had significant disagreements and frustrations with Israel, it is worth remembering the 1982 tensions between Reagan and Begin over Lebanon if for no other reason than to remind ourselves that disagreeing with an Israeli leader over their military actions is not a sign of betrayal or weakness. Here is an excerpt from a story about Reagan's time in office:
Israel’s involvement in the Lebanese civil war began in June 1982, when it invaded its northern neighbor. Its goal was to root out the Palestine Liberation Organization, which had set up a state within a state, and to transform Lebanon into a Christian-ruled ally. The Israel Defense Forces soon besieged P.L.O.-controlled areas in the western part of Beirut. Intense Israeli bombardments led to heavy civilian casualties and tested even President Ronald Reagan, who initially backed Israel. In mid-August, as America was negotiating the P.L.O.’s withdrawal from Lebanon, Reagan told Prime Minister Menachem Begin that the bombings “had to stop or our entire future relationship was endangered,” Reagan wrote in his diaries.
Talking about the global common good and religion's role in promoting it here and around the world.
Popular Posts
-
My own life would be a lot simpler right now if I could come to a clear conclusion about Heidi Baker--either she is a Pentecostal Mother T...
-
(PART TWO OF THIS POST IS HERE ) Christianity Today is out with an extraordinary cover story by Tim Stafford on Heidi Baker. Her story ...
-
I am no fan of Vladimir Putin and I have real questions about what is motivating his recent actions, but I have to say that these words from...
-
I have had the chance to listen intently and carefully to the whole interview Terry Gross did with C. Peter Wagner yesterday and these are ...
-
"Not only do I believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, I base my life on it.” Brian McLaren Brian McLaren ...
-
“ I come in the name of Allah, Allah and the prophet Mohammad blah, blah, blah, pass the ammunition, all that good stuff”" Samuel Rodr...
-
In their editorial criticizing the Catholic Bishops' new statement on religious freedom, Commonweal magazine made the following excellen...
-
I'm not much into blogging lately, but a few quick thoughts prompted by the extraordinary news of the day concerning Pope Benedict's...
-
I am engaged in a fascinating and frustrating dialogue at Christianity Today's website over this Heidi Baker story. The charge being mad...
-
Reporting on religion for an internationally read service like the Associated Press must be an enormous challenge. Taking an issue of great ...
Friday, September 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment